XOX

XOX

Buy a Bullet: An Orphan X Short Story (Evan Smoak)
Gregg Hurwitz
Telegraph Avenue: A Novel
Michael Chabon

Book about censorship

You Can't Read This Book: Censorship in an Age of Freedom - Nick Cohen

Just started reading. The introduction already warming me up to like this one.

Hope it wouldn't disappoint.

It is about how censorship work. By stopping the press from reporting when there is a case law.

But then, how do you stop the tweets? The law is not equip to deal with freedom of speech in tweets.

Start with 4 stars.

When Salman Rushdie got death threats from Islamist. The world is shock. Penguin backed him up and so are some of the writers. But there are a lot of other liberal media failed him and failing to criticize the very religion that brought on this threat. Hitoshi Igarashi, the Satanic Verses Japanese translator was stabbed to death to his face and arms. Islam and its followers are responsible for this and the press didn't care that much. The Islamist who committed this murder was not found and the case was closed in 2006.

This book is packed.

Raised to a 5 stars.

So many stuff that I like to drop down and quote later.

Like this one.

Page 68 of the first edition paperback.

"There are three possible challenges. The first, and to my mind the simplest, is to give up on religion. To reject communism, you do not need to know why Marx's beliefs in the inevitability of proletarian revolution were wrong, you just need to look at the vast crimes the communists committed, an resolve to have nothing to do with the ideology behind them. Similarly, to reject religion you do not need to understand the scientific and philosophical arguments about the extreme unlikelihood of god's existence, or go through the archaeological and literary studies which tell us that the early years of Judaism, Christianity and Islam were strikingly different from the accounts presented to believers. Knowledge of the vast crimes committed in the name of religion is once again sufficient."

I have been wondering why religious people ask me to study their stupid shit while the negative effect of their religion is so obvious that I don't need to know the details of the religious shit to know it is all shit. Just look at how Islam treated their women and children, Catholic Church harboring child rapists while denying justice for rape victims, and Christians going after women who take ownership of their own sexuality, and gays who dare love who they choose, you know all religions are pretty shit.

Thanks to this book, I know Hindu is really shitty too.  The persecution of Maqbool Fida Husain is enough to know that religious Hindu did horrible things in the name of religion that only comparable to ISIS.

I think it is a good book for anyone who still religion is any good. Religion is shit, and it is against freedom, against human rights.

Not yet finished. Only on page 76. This is highly recommended.

Page 191

Rich men become untouchable by the news media. Libel law that protect the rich against the being discovered.

This is in the book. It is quite a lot of ground to cover and I did read it slowly.

Very good read so far. Still a 5 stars.

Just finished.

I like the last few chapters a lot.

The net is not free if the authoritative regime could use the net against decedents.

"The Net cannot set you free. Only politics could do that." is the last sentence. I have been thinking about how the net take up time and help me escape the harsh reality life is shit under dictatorship. And it is so true. A truth that is hard for those who are living in democratic countries to comprehend.

This book is marked for re-read.

If I could add more star for being honest, I would.