XOX

London Fields
Martin Amis
Good Omens
Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman
Free Will - Sam Harris The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature - Steven Pinker Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman

Steven Pinker on free will. In his opinion, there isn't one. Which is also the conclusion I have after reading Sam Harris book "Free will".

Still reading Blank Slate by Steven Pinker that come to the conclusion that there is no blank slate. I know that before reading this one, as we know about genetic influence and how siblings raised apart are more alike each other than the siblings that grow up with but has no biological relations.

I've joined a group that has been discussing the topic of free will for the last few weeks, on and off.

Maybe it is a good idea to introduce a series, for myself, to gather thoughts on this topic that is based not only personal experience, but on science and academic knowledge.

With the knowledge of System 1 and System 2 thinking introduced by Daniel Kahneman, we know that intuition is just System 1 thinking or lazy thinking. It has its logic, but does not draw on the more comprehensive thinking from the brain. So, we use system 2 thinking more often and refused to jump into conclusion.

Science has spoken and will continue to speak about this.

Why trust science more than any other disciplines? Science required a standard of logic test before writing into conclusion. Other opinion like philosophy does not have such requirement, and good sounding theory is as good as well tested theory, it is up to the readers to distinguish the two. That's why I could trust science to be "honest" and would not place that trust on other discipline.